With the increase in virtualisation and cloud computing reducing in-house IT needs and the need for a dedicated server room in many organisations, solutions that act as a “server room in a box,” are filling a need that is growing in importance. Whether it’s a large multi branch roll out or a single small independent business, a ‘Server room in a box’ solution can provide a right sized, space saving, secure environment for the business critical IT equipment that belongs onsite. Suitable for branch offices, small offices and any non-IT space where there isn’t the room, the time, the budget or the need to build a dedicated IT zone, ‘server room in a box’ solutions provide an ultra-portable, secure, economic, plug-and-play IT solution. You simply roll them into the open office, put your equipment inside, plug it in and close the doors and get back to focusing on your core business quickly. Save space, cost and deployment time ‘Server room in a box’ solutions can be used to;
- Reduce capital costs by avoiding construction.
- Avoid wasting space.
- Keeping your business agile by using a portable IT infrastructure.
- Standardise on one solution for branch offices and remote sites.
- Silence noisy equipment inside a Quiet Enclosure.
So what should you look for in your “server room in a box” solution to help you meet your goals:
- Quiet – the solution should muffle about 90% of the sound from the equipment they house, so you can work without disturbance.
- Attractive – if the solution looks like a piece of furniture, it will blend in with the environment.
- Self-cooled – Choose unit that are fan-cooled, so you don’t need any special air conditioning or venting. In the end, this will save you money on energy costs.
- Secure – The solution needs to be completely lockable so your equipment is secure. If you require even more security, look for a solution that replaces the key lock with an HID reader with programmable cards so that you will be able to track who is coming and going into the cabinet. And most employees don’t really know or care what that server humming away in the corner is all about, so who knows what may happen to it. Keeping it safe and sound in an enclosure is simply good business.
- Transportable – In a small space, you might need to move things around often. Choose a unit that is easy to install and is on castor wheels, in case your plans change and you need to move it.
- Size options – Also look for a solution that has a variety of sizes, such as from 12U to 38U to suit your particular needs. The 12U is perfect for very small SMB’s and the other sizes are suitable for a wide variety of offices, clinics, or medical facilities.
The NetShelter CX from APC by Schneider is designed to sit in any office environment with added security and minimal noise and a look designed to fit in with other office furniture. This all-in-one home for networking and server equipment can also reduce operating costs by 98% and capital costs by 80% when compared to a traditional server rooms. For more information visit our website: Server Room in a Box